Call Now : 903-962-5516
Grand Saline Public Library & Depot Civic Center
G
S
History
The Grand Saline Public Library and Depot Civic Center is housed in a retired railroad station located in Grand Saline, Texas.  The picture on this page is the depot in 1911.  In the 1920's the depot was jacked up, placed on logs, and pulled by equines one block east to its current location where it remained an active station for many years.  Before becoming a Union Pacific facility it was a Texas & Pacific facility.

The Grand Saline Public Library was opened on April 23, 1966 and was housed in the buidling next to City Hall where the CIty Council currently meets.  The library quickly outgrew the space and it was moved to the depot in the early 1980's after renovating because it had been sitting empty for many years. 

In 2012 the building went through another major renovation embracing the history of the building.  Visitors of the library can see the freight scale that was orginal to the building as well as historic details such as the beamed ceilings and tile from the 1940's.